Our Weekly Meeting

“Together, we see a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change — across the globe, in our communities, and in ourselves.”

We meet every Friday from 1:00 to 2:00pm at Wanderers Club, Illovo, Johannesburg. You can also join us on Zoom - https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86496040522.

Monday 26 August 2019

Congratulations to Marian Laserson and also to the Rotary Club of Fourways Main Reef & Die Boere Gemeenskap Transvaal.

Last Week
It was a Business Meeting but there really wasn't very much to talk about....so many people seem to be away at the moment.  I suppose people are still mentally switched on to Private School Holidays!

I forgot to give you the answer to the silly question I posed.  The answer is that you are on a merry-go-round so all you have to do is get off.

Congratulations to Marian Laserson......she even has a birthday this month!
I have a feeling that she's always been an activist.

This Week
We have a speaker, I imagine the chairman Leon Cronje, of the Boere Gemeenskap Transvaal, an organisation that supports people in informal settlements.

Nowhere on its website does the organisation mention that it only assists whites, presumably Afrikaans speaking whites but that is the impression that I have from the photographs.

Personally I have a problem with this which is exemplified by Transvaal in the name of an organisation that was only founded four years ago, 20 years after the province of that name ceased to exist.
Don't misunderstand me.  I am not saying that these unfortunate people shouldn't be helped. I know that there are approximately 56 informal settlements between the East Rand and Pretoria that house predominantly white people. I am just concerned that there could be an isolationist agenda.  I hope I am proved wrong.

  Congratulations to Fourways Main Reef in having this article in The Rotarian
When drought drove thousands of flamingos to abandon their chicks at a reservoir that serves as a breeding ground for the birds, the Rotary Club of Fourways Main Reef, Johannesburg, sprang into action, providing lactate solution, food, blankets, and saline solution to a conservation group.
“Sometimes life works in magical ways,” says club member Ingrid Sellschop, who had seen a social media post about the flamingo chicks’ plight that prompted the club members to get involved in late January. “A friend from my school days, who runs the VulPro vulture rehab program at the Hartbeespoort dam, contacted me requesting help when she saw that our club was collecting items and money for the rescue.” Many conservation centers around the country were involved in relocating the chicks and eggs to safe environments.
“I was fortunate enough to be able to assist with feeding the little flamingo chicks in the first week that they arrived at the VulPro center,” Sellschop says. The mission ended happily with healthy hatchlings, and dam water levels have since risen, improving conditions for the flocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment